As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
If you’re a fan of delicious and decadent desserts, then this recipe for strawberry filling cake is the perfect choice for you!
This cake is packed with sweet and tart flavor, and the fluffy texture of the cake is sure to make your mouth water. Plus, the strawberry filling will give you a burst of flavor with every bite.
This recipe does not need any specific baking talents, so even beginner bakers can make it with ease.
Follow this step-by-step guide to learn how to make a delicious strawberry-filling cake that everyone will love!
Why We Love This Strawberry Filling For Cake
The strawberry filling for cakes is beloved for its sweet, slightly tangy flavor and its versatility in enhancing a wide variety of desserts. Made with fresh or frozen strawberries, sugar, and sometimes gelatin or cornstarch, this filling adds a burst of fruity freshness to any cake.
The gelatin helps the filling stay together between cake layers, while the addition of lemon juice provides a subtle balance of sweetness and tanginess.
This simple yet flavorful filling can elevate a basic cake to a special dessert, making it a popular choice for both homemade and professional bakers.
Whether used in layer cakes, cake rolls, or as a topping for ice cream or shortcake, the strawberry filling adds a delightful burst of summer flavor to any treat, making it a favorite among dessert enthusiasts.
What Will You Need To Make This Strawberry Cake Filling?
To make a strawberry cake filling, you will need the following ingredients:
- Fresh or frozen strawberries
- Lemon juice
The specific amounts will vary depending on the recipe you choose. For example, a common recipe includes:
- 2 ½ cups of frozen strawberries.
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 cup of water
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
Some recipes may also use gelatin instead of cornstarch to help the filling stay together between cake layers.
Once you have these ingredients, you can easily prepare a delicious strawberry filling to use in your cakes, cake rolls, or as a topping for other desserts.
Recommended Tools To Make This Recipe
To make the strawberry cake filling, you will need the following tools:
- A saucepan or frying pan: For cooking the strawberry filling.
- A measuring cup: To measure the ingredients.
- A whisk or fork: To mix the ingredients and ensure even distribution.
- A candy thermometer (optional): To monitor the temperature of the filling while it cooks.
- A spatula or wooden spoon: To stir the filling and help it cool down.
- A baking sheet or wide dish: To spread the filling out and cool it down before using it on the cake.
These tools will help you create a delicious strawberry filling for your cake, ensuring a smooth and easy process from start to finish.
Substitutions And Additions
Here are some substitutions and additions you can make to the strawberry cake filling recipe:
- Fresh or frozen strawberries: You may use either freshly picked or frozen strawberries for the filling. If using frozen strawberries, do not thaw them before cooking.
- Sugar: You can use white sugar, brown sugar, or even honey as a substitute for the sugar in the filling.
- Cornstarch: Cornstarch is a main ingredient in the filling, so it cannot be substituted. However, you can try using instant clearjel or instant pudding mix as a substitute, but the texture might be different.
- Lemon juice: Lemon juice gives the filling a slight tanginess. If you prefer a sweeter flavor, you can decrease the quantity or skip it completely.
- Gelatin: Some recipes use gelatin to help the filling stay together between cake layers. If you want a firmer filling, use gelatin.
- Strawberry jam or puree: If you don’t have fresh or frozen strawberries, you can use strawberry jam or puree as a substitute. Just ensure to adjust the quantity to match the desired consistency.
- Other fruit fillings: If you’re looking for an alternative to strawberry filling, you can try using other fruit fillings such as raspberry, blueberry, or blackberry jam.
Remember that substitutions may affect the taste and texture of the final product, so it’s always a best option to test the modified recipe before using it for a special occasion.
How To Make This Delicious Strawberry Filling
To make a delicious strawberry filling for cakes, you will need the following ingredients and steps:
– Fresh or frozen strawberries
– Lemon juice
- Prepare the strawberries: Rinse and slice fresh strawberries or thaw frozen strawberries.
- Combine ingredients: In a saucepan, combine the strawberries, sugar, and lemon juice.
- Cook the mixture: Heat the combined ingredients over medium-low heat until the strawberries break down and the mixture thickens.
- Create a slurry: In a separate bowl, mix cornstarch and water to create a slurry.
- Thicken the filling: Add the cornstarch slurry to the strawberry mixture and continue cooking until the filling thickens.
- Cool and chill: Transfer the strawberry filling to a heat-proof bowl. Before using, let it to reach room temperature and then refrigerate for a minimum of two hours.
These steps will help you create a delectable strawberry filling that pairs well with various desserts, such as cakes, pies, tarts, and more.
Storage Tips Strawberry Filling Cake
To store strawberry filling for cake, follow these tips:
- Cool the filling: Allow the filling to cool completely before storing it.
- Use an airtight container: Transfer the filling to an airtight container, such as a glass jar or plastic container with a tight-fitting lid.
- Refrigerate: Store the container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- Freeze: You may freeze the filling for up to three months if you’d want to keep it fresher for longer. Transfer the filling to a freezer-safe container and label it with the date.
When you’re ready to use the filling, thaw it in the refrigerator overnight if frozen, or let it come to room temperature if refrigerated. Give it a good stir before using it to ensure it’s smooth and spreadable.
Is Strawberry Filling Cake Good For Health?
The strawberry filling for cakes is a delicious addition to desserts, but its healthiness depends on factors such as portion size and individual dietary needs. The filling is primarily made of strawberries, which are rich in vitamins, antioxidants, and fiber.
However, the addition of sugar for sweetness should be considered, especially for those monitoring their sugar intake. The filling can be a good source of natural fruit flavors and nutrients, but it must be consumed in moderation as part of a balanced diet.
Additionally, homemade fillings allow for better control of the ingredients, such as using less sugar. Overall, while the strawberry filling can enhance the taste and nutritional value of desserts, It’s crucial to keep in mind its sugar content and consume it as part of a well-rounded diet.
In conclusion, strawberry filling is a delicious and versatile ingredient that can be used in various desserts, such as cakes, layer cakes, and even ice cream toppings.
It is made by cooking down fresh or frozen strawberries with sugar, cornstarch, and lemon juice until thickened, resulting in a sweet and slightly tangy sauce that pairs well with many flavors.
To make strawberry filling for a cake, you need fresh or frozen strawberries, sugar, cornstarch, water, and lemon juice.
The filling can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 1 week or frozen for up to 3 months. While the strawberry filling can enhance the taste and nutritional value of desserts.
It’s crucial to eat it and pay attention to its sugar content as part of a well-rounded diet.
Frequently Asked Questions
Based on the search results, here are some frequently asked questions and their answers related to strawberry filling for cakes:
Yes, you may make the filling cake using frozen strawberries. There is no need to thaw them before cooking, but you should increase the cooking time slightly to account for the extra liquid from the frozen berries.
Yes, you can substitute sugar with honey or other sweeteners, but the taste and texture of the filling may change. Depending on your desire, change the quantity of sweetness.
Yes, you can use unflavored gelatin to help the filling set up. However, the texture might be different, and you should follow the gelatin package instructions for the correct ratio of gelatin to liquid.
Yes, you can make the filling up to 2 days ahead of time. After cooling and chilling, store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
The filling is ready when it thickens and coats the back of a spoon. The temperature should reach 220°F (116°C) if you’re using a candy thermometer.
If the filling doesn’t thicken, you can try adding a bit more cornstarch or gelatin, and cook it for a few more minutes, stirring constantly.
While it’s not the same as a homemade filling, you can use strawberry jam or puree as a substitute. Adjust the amount to match your desired consistency.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.